A Curriculum for Success
A Curriculum for Success
In-Person Summer Professional Development Program
Our summer program combines educational classroom programming, hands-on mentoring and coaching, and unparalleled access to real-world work experience in the Sports, Entertainment, and Media industries. Beginning with a week of high-intensity training that features an incredible assortment of world-class executives as guest speakers and instructors, we provide students with exclusive opportunities to learn from industry leaders, expand their network, and develop themselves as professionals. This program is essential for any students looking to jump-start their careers in highly-competitive industries.
Dates: 4 Weeks: June 20 – July 15, 2022
Location: Los Angeles, CA
- We want to offer the best experience within the parameters of pandemic considerations, so the exact program location in LA is currently TBD.
Academic Partner: UCLA Anderson Center for Management of Enterprise in Media, Entertainment & Sports (MEMES)
Who Can Apply: College students, graduate students, and early-stage professionals from around the world are invited to apply
- Payment plans available + early bird discounts!
Student Application and Placement Process
- Apply: The application process opens in November 2021 and closes one week prior to the start of the program. There is no application fee, and applications from students and graduates of all colleges/universities are accepted.
- Program Interview: Students will undergo an interview with IMPACT staff to review their application, discuss their career goals, and identify fields of interest.
- Registration: If accepted into the program, students will be sent a registration link. Once registration is completed and a deposit is placed, students’ spots in the program are secured.
- Project Placement: Prior to the start of the program, registered students will be placed in Experiential Learning Projects based on available opportunities that align with their fields of interest.
WEEK 1: TRAINING CAMP
Where the excitement of Game Day meets next-level Education
IMPACT’s Training Camp redefines traditional education and training by approaching instructional topics through the lens of a Game Day experience. IMPACT Lead Instructor, Felisa Israel, is an innovator and industry leader in fan engagement, and she is tapping into her unique blend of expertise, professional relationships, and passion for mentoring students to deliver an unforgettable experience. From Pre-Game Warm Up and Timeout break activities to inside looks at game entertainment elements such as sponsor activations, mascot skits, and sideline interviews with opportunities for students to try out their skills first-hand, Week 1 is full of non-stop engagement, interaction, and experiential learning.
The Training Camp Playbook is a high-level curriculum that blends relevant examples and relatable concepts with first-hand insight from industry executives to educate students. The Playbook provides an inside look into various aspects of the Sports, Entertainment, and Media industries and teaches students the professional development tools and critical skills necessary to excel in any field.
Engaging content, exciting topics, an interactive setting, and A-list executive insight maximize students’ learning potential and create a personalized All-Star experience.
Our extensive network of high-level executives, instructors, celebrities, and decision-makers in the Sports, Entertainment, and Media industries share our passion for teaching the next generation of leaders. In Week 1, students receive real-world instruction, first-hand insight, and invaluable life lessons from these masters in their field. Past pros have included:
- Aaron Ryan | Commissioner & President at Overtime Elite
- Aldis Hodge | Actor (One Night in Miami, Straight Outta Compton, The Invisible Man, Hidden Figures)
- Ann Meyers Drysdale | Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Inductee; Sports Broadcaster & Analyst; VP at Phoenix Mercury & Suns
- Danette Leighton | CMO at Pac-12 Conference
- Emilio Collins | Partner & Chief Business Officer at Excel Sports Management
- Fabiola Torres | CMO & SVP, Energy at PepsiCo
- Gregg Winik | CEO at Winik Media; Television Producer (Executive Producer of The Last Dance)
- Jay Harris | Journalist & Sportscaster at ESPN
- Jerry Colangelo | Managing Director at USA Basketball; Former Owner of the Phoenix Suns, Phoenix Mercury, Arizona Diamondbacks
- Kat Stickler | Social Media Influencer
- Lionel Hollins | NBA Coach & Former Player
- Noël Mirhadi | Music Booking Agent at United Talent Agency
- Patrick Schwarzenegger | Entrepreneur; Actor (Moxie, Daniel Isn’t Real, Midnight Sun)
- Uzma Rawn | SVP & Group Director, Global Corporate Partnerships at MLB
- Z-Trip | DJ & Music Producer
These are just some examples from our exclusive roster of pros, so stay tuned for updates and announcements of our 2022 roster as the program approaches!
WEEKS 2 – 4: Experiential Learning Projects
Hands-on Learning for Real-World Training & Experience
Experiential Learning Projects are academic and intellectual experiences that allow students to work together in small groups over the course of 3 weeks. Each group is matched with one of our industry partners to complete a custom-tailored project with specific requirements and goals. The projects are collaborative initiatives that include hands-on work designed to teach a variety of relevant and applicable skills and grow students professionally. Projects are assigned based on availability and student fields of interest, so we encourage students to register early in order to be eligible for the most project opportunities. Project specifics vary with each of our partners, but each project includes the following experiences:
- Weekly meetings with each group’s Mentor from their Project Partner Company to set goals, present latest project progress, and educate students on various company operations
- Weekly group presentations to Project Mentors throughout the 3-week project initiative
- Weekly meetings with IMPACT Instructors to discuss project deliverables, review and rehearse each week’s presentation, and provide further industry education
- Opportunities to network with and learn directly from Project Mentors in a personalized, focused setting
Note: IMPACT coaching staff is available at all times to answer questions and provide continuous coaching.
2022 Summer Program Projects are revealed during the placement process.
Past Mentors & Project Partners have included:
- Andrew Visnovsky | Sports Law & Sports Management Consultant at Ad Victoriam Sports Group, LLC
- Andy Bernstein | Hall of Fame Sports Photographer; Co-Founder & Podcast Host at Legends of Sport
- Charles Johnson | Director, Marketing Strategy at Complex Networks
- Jaime LaBelle | Manager, Human Resources at Los Angeles Lakers
- Jennifer Pope | VP, Community Relations & Team Services at Los Angeles Kings
- Joe Mulvihill | Talent Manager (Boyz II Men & Joey Fatone); Owner at Livewire Entertainment
- Jonathan David | Director, Business Development at Van Wagner Sports & Entertainment
- Leonard Armato | Founder, Chairman & CEO at Management Plus Enterprises; Former Sports Agent (represented star athletes such as Shaquille O’Neal, Hakeem Olajuwon, Oscar De La Hoya, Kerri Walsh-Jennings, and Lisa Leslie)
- Libby Bush | Founder & CEO at Tandem Entertainment, a CAA Company
- Matt Altman | Co-Founder & CEO at Sportiqe
- Melanie Wallner | Associate VP, Communications at The Drone Racing League
- Rob Mirhadi | Tour Manager at Mirhadi Management
- Tamala Lewis | Senior Director, Community Affairs & Foundation at AEG’s Dignity Health Sports Park
- Tanesha Wade | Director, Events & Entertainment at Chicago Bears
- Tim Park | Director, Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Analytics at Chipotle Mexican Grill
Weekly Classroom Sessions
During the Experiential Learning Projects (Weeks 2 – 4), students meet with their instructor and classmates once per week for an in-person class session. Weekly classroom sessions are discussion forums for topics related to the students’ various Experiential Learning Projects, ongoing professional development, networking opportunities between students and professionals, and opportunities for students to learn from guest specialists who create tailored learning experiences, discussions, and workshops based on their areas of expertise. Examples of past specialists and topics include:
- Amanda Luftman | Attorney, Boren, Osher & Luftman, LLP – Contracts 101 Workshop
- Kristen Willeumier | Neuroscientist & Author (Biohack Your Brain) – Mental Health & Wellness Discussion
The In-Person Experience
The in-person IMPACT experience brings the virtual elements of our summer program to life by providing students with
- Additional opportunities to get face time and develop relationships with peers and professionals
- Personalized networking events and socials
- Professional workshops
- Field trips and industry insider events such as professional sports games. Past experiences have included:
- Professional sports games and private fireside chats with executives at the LA Dodgers and Sparks
- Behind-the-scenes tours and private fireside chats with executives at CAA, HARMAN/JBL, Sony Pictures Studios, STAPLES Center/LA Live, and Toyota Sports Center (LA Kings Practice Facility & offices)
- Exclusive events such as the ESPYs and the Los Angeles Sports & Entertainment Commission Business of Sports Speaker Series & Networking Event
We offer a limited number of needs-based scholarships through our IMPACT Access Fund to support our belief that the leaders of tomorrow should be a diverse group composed of individuals from a variety of backgrounds. If you believe you are eligible for a needs-based scholarship, please complete the Scholarship Application Interest Form below. Forms will be reviewed by the IMPACT Access Fund Selection Committee, and if qualifications are met we will invite students to submit an application.
A portion of proceeds will go to the IMPACT Access Fund, a project of The Giving Back Fund, our Scholarship Program designed to help young people at critical stages in their personal and professional development by promoting equitable skills, opportunity, education, and access to achieve careers in the fields of sports, entertainment, media, and beyond.